Saturday, April 28, 2012

Secrets to Goalsetting

One of my favorite Quotes is: 

"People with clear, written goals, accomplish far more in a shorter period of time than people without them could ever imagine."

We’ve all hear about Goalsetting before but it is estimated that only 5% of our population actively sets goals for themselves.

In a study during the 50s about Goalsetting by the University of Yale it turned out only 3% of Yale Graduates had clear specific goals written down - 20 years later those 3% of Alumnis were worth more financially then all the other 97% combined. It is shocking and impressive what difference it makes to have written goals for yourself.

Goalsetting gives us a direction for our life and we are much more successful at recognizing and waging opportunities if we know what our goal is.

Still most people decide not to write down their goals because they either don’t know the power of a well-formed outcome, or they are afraid of failure or rejection.

If you sit down with pen and paper writing down your goals and hopes, you make thoughts reality and acknowledge to yourself that there is something you want in life.
You’ll get excited about your goal and you have something to work for.

Not having clear goals is like driving a car without your hands on the steering wheel. The way you’re taking control of your car, you need to take the same control about your life and determine what you want to work toward.
If you don’t, you’ll drift from one situation into the next one without aim or meaning.

You’ll ask: “What if I don’t reach my goal?”
Even if you don’t always reach your goal, you’ll be closer to knowing what works for you and what doesn’t. Failure is natural and crucial to Success. At least you are moving toward something and motion is always better than stagnation.

There are many different fascinating exercises for setting goals (some of which I will share in the future) but a good start for now is just taking pen and paper and thinking about what it is you want for your life. Invest those 5 minutes in yourself and see your focus change as you’ll realize what it is you really want!

You should know your goal so well that if someone woke you up in the middle of the night, you could tell them instantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment